This last week in Madrid has been very exciting.
What started with a spontaneous sit-in following a demonstration on Sunday turned into a massive peaceful protest and emcampment in one of the central squares. They say 25,000 people have gathered there, so perhaps there have been even more. They´re protesting against their corrupt government, the fact that unemployment rates are incredibly high - reaching a disturbing 43% for young people- and generally voicing their grievances about injustice. We´ll see what comes of this movement in the long term. In the short term there has definitely been a great collective energy and feeling that together people can be incredibly powerful. Politically, I wonder what the answers are. I can´t help thinking that in life it´s easier to say what we don´t like rather than what we do and make suggestions for change.
All I know is that every time I go down there, which is twice a day everyday for my train to work i´m blown away by the scale of it but also the peace and calm that prevails. It is a beautiful, inspiring protest and I only wish people in Britain would learn something from this example, instead of mixing protest with alcohol and violence.
I feel very fortunate to be living here and witnessing these exciting times. ¡Viva la Revolcion!
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario